December 30, 2010

Trash to Treasure Thursday

With the cold weather facing most everyone, we recognize a cold draft more! When we moved into this apartment, we were excited to see a coat closet in the living room. Recently I noticed how cold it was in there every time I opened the door. It was then when I discovered this.....
This my friend is a cold air return for our furnace, and man is it cold! Our coat closet also had a door with about an inch and a half space at the bottom that was allowing all of that cold air right into our living room. I knew the fix was to block the bottom of the door, but I didn't want to always be kicking a towel back and forth.

Then I saw the infomercial on the draft protectors and my mind started going. I found an old pillowcase and a pool noodle that we were about to toss out....we had used it to level the car seat for our daughter. Total cost for this T to T....around $2. Great savings compared to the $19.99 infomercial! 
Click on the picture to enlarge and see step by step instructions.

***added note, you can cut and sew the pillowcase so as not to have all the extra sticking out, and I will be doing that eventually. I just needed a quick fix on this 30 degree morning!

Do you have any drafts or cold air spots in your home? Hope this can help! Check out other T to T's HERE!

No comments: