August 11, 2010

Easy Breakfast treat for the kids!

Now that I am a stay at home mom and we are homeschooling, I try to find fun treats for my son to have around the house. I stumbled upon this recipe this week when looking through some magazines for simple meal ideas and thought I would give it a try this morning. It was a hit, and can be made in bulk, frozen and warmed in the microwave for convenience in the future. Now....don't let the name fool you. I promise I was not feeding pure sugar to my son first thing in the morning, that would be asking for trouble! These waffles have less sugar in them than any poptart out there! You can even sneak in some whole wheat pancake mixes to make it even healthier if you have some on hand!

Pecan Chocolate Waffles
  • 1 cup pancake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup 1 or 2% milk
  • 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • Powdered sugar

Whisk together egg, milk, chocolate syrup, and oil in bowl. Stir in pancake mix until combined, add pecans if you prefer them cooked in (we added as a topping instead). Bake in preheated waffle iron until golden brown. Sprinkle powdered sugar when plated for a final touch! You may also top with berries, whipped cream, and many other options.


No comments: